SIMetrix and SIMetrix/SIMPLIS run on Microsoft Windows platforms. The systems listed below are supported. Note that these are the system requirements for the client software only and not for the license manager software. For the system requirements for the SIMetrix and SIMetrix/SIMPLIS License Manager software, please click here.
Virtual Machines and Emulators
Important: we only offer full support when running SIMetrix on supported operating systems running directly on physical hardware. This excludes running SIMetrix in virtual machines or under emulation on non-supported operating systems. This doesn't mean you can't run SIMetrix on such systems or that we won't support such systems at all. It does mean that we will only be able to help with problems that can be reproduced on a supported OS.
In particular, we can not help with problems with dongles if SIMetrix is running in a virtual machine or under emulation.
Operating System – 64 bit Versions
The following operating systems are fully supported for SIMetrix and SIMetrix/SIMPLIS 64-bit versions:
- Windows 10 Home, Pro and Enterprise - 64 bit editions
- Windows 8.1, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1 Enterprise - 64 bit editions
- Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Enterprise - 64 bit editions
- Windows 7 Home Premium/Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate - 64 bit editions
Operating System – 32-bit Versions
The following operating systems are fully supported for SIMetrix and SIMetrix/SIMPLIS 32-bit versions:
- Windows 7 Home Premium/Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate - 32 bit editions
SIMetrix and SIMetrix/SIMPLIS will not run on any version of Windows RT.
SIMetrix and SIMetrix/SIMPLIS will operate correctly if:
- The system is running one of supported operating systems listed above, AND
- The system meets the minimum hardware requirement for that operating system, AND
- The system's CPU supports the SSE2 instruction set. Any system manufactured after about 2005 is likely to meet this requirement.
SIMetrix and SIMetrix/SIMPLIS are CPU-intensive applications and will benefit from the most powerful processors and largest memories.
Please, however, be aware of the following:
- Some processors increase the apparent number of CPUs by using a technology called "Hyperthreading". SIMetrix and SIMetrix/SIMPLIS do not directly use hyperthreaded (also known as "logical") CPUs
- The greatest benefit from multiple cores is achieved when running Monte Carlo analyses and other multiple analysis modes. This applies to both SIMetrix and SIMPLIS simulators. For this application, typical performance benefit of about 75% of the core count can be achieved. So for 4 cores a Monte Carlo run may execute about 3 times faster. The SIMetrix simulator can also exploit multiple cores to gain a speedup for single runs, but the performance benefit achieved is much more modest and typically there is little benefit in having more than about 4 cores
System requirements for older versions
Older versions of SIMetrix will run on the operating systems supported at the time of their release. In general we have found that all 32-bit Windows versions of SIMetrix back to version 1.0 will usually run on any 32-bit Windows operating system, but often need special install procedures. However, we have not tested every version of SIMetrix with every version of Windows and can make no guarantees or offer any support for non-supported operating systems.
There can be problems with older versions running on 64-bit systems. In particular versions 5.3 or earlier using portable licenses (i.e. with a USB security key) will not work with any 64-bit system.